476 Myrtle Ave

Brooklyn, NY 11205 US

(718) 623-3999

Open mobile navigation

Feline Mast Cell Tumors

Clinton Hill Animal Clinic Offers Treatment for 

Feline Mast Cell Tumors (Mastocytoma)

Cats sometimes develop abnormal growths of tissue, called mastocytoma, that require veterinary attention. These mast cell growths may be external or internal and can cause a number of problems for felines. At Clinton Hill Animal Clinic in Brooklyn, NY, we provide treatment of mast cell tumors in cats.

Clinton Hill Animal Clinic Offers Treatment for Feline Mast Cell Tumors (Mastocytoma)

Understanding Mast Cell Tumors (Mastocytoma)

Mast cells are a particular type of white blood cells that are a normal part of the immune system. However, these cells sometimes experience abnormal proliferation, resulting in tumors that can occur on the surface of the skin, under the skin, or on internal organs, such as the pancreas and intestines. About 90 percent of mast cell tumors are benign, but the other 10 percent can be a serious health problem for your cat.

Symptoms of Mast Cell Tumors

Pet owners may notice an unusual lump on their cat’s skin. These tumors are generally hairless, but may become reddened and itchy. The cat may groom or chew the bump. Symptoms of internal mast cell tumors include decreased appetite, vomiting, and weight loss. The animal may seem lethargic or depressed.

Diagnosis of Mast Cell Tumors

Your vet in Brooklyn will do a thorough physical exam of your pet’s body, taking note of any unusual bumps or lumps on the surface. Mast cells tumors are generally diagnosed by needle aspiration of cells within the mass, which are then viewed under a microscope. Blood work and x-rays may also be done to determine the extent of the tumor intrusion into the body.

Treatments for Mast Cell Tumors

Removal of the tumors is the standard procedure for external tumors. Antihistamine medications are administered to counteract the histamine that is produced by these tumors. Generally, this treatment is successful for external mast cell tumors. Tumors on the internal organs may be more problematic, requiring surgery, as well as chemotherapy to halt the proliferation of cells.

Make Clinton Hill Animal Clinic Your Veterinarian in Brooklyn

Dr. Dendtler uses her many years of experience to provide superior care for pets in Brooklyn, NY, and the nearby communities. Our animal hospital offers a range of veterinary services, including exams; vaccinations, preventative care, dental care, diagnostics, surgery, emergency care, and cat boarding. Call Clinton Hill Animal Clinic today at (718) 623-3999 for an appointment to learn about current treatments for mast cell tumors in cats.

New to Clinton Hill Animal Clinic?

Sign-up to request more information!

Office Hours


10:30 am-5:30 pm


10:30 am-5:30 pm


10:30 am-5:30 pm




10:30 am-5:30 pm


10:30 am-5:30 pm



Phone: (718) 623-3999
476 Myrtle Ave, Brooklyn, NY, 11205, US


Find us on the map


Read What Our Clients Say

  • "Roxy and i loved our experience with Clinton hill, and our doctor was amazing! She explained everything and answered all my questions. I highly recommend this vet clinic!"
    Amanda Hodge
  • "Always excellent professional care. Staff are empathetic towards pets and pet parents. I highly recommend this clinic. My dogs have been under care there for the past eight years."
    Frances Haile
  • "I wish there was a way to give 10 stars. It was the absolute best experience for us and our cats. The guy it the front desk I’m so sorry I forgot your name but he was extremely patient, thorough and took the time to answer every question we had. The doctor was caring and extremely knowledgeable about cats. It was the best experience 10 stars!"
    Brian Bee
  • "This place specializes in creating great relationships with owners and pets. I've been with Dr. Pamela Dendtler since 2003 ! Awesome care and service."
    Diedre Yvonne Gary
  • "To Dr Dendtler and Staff, I cant begin to tell you how impressed I am with the loving care you have given to my cat Baxter, before and after the much needed surgery. Baxter is so pleased with the outcome; he goes around purring all day."
    Thanks again. -Estelle P.
  • "Dear Dr. Dendtler, You were very thorough and caring in treating Buddy. You explained clearly how to protect my dog. I have been to many clinics but you are the best. You were very professional and compassionate. Buddy and I are very grateful. Thanks ever so much to you and your staff."
    John L.
  • "Hi Dr Dendtler, Thank you so very much for fixing my eye. I can see clearly now…I can see all obstacles in my way! Love Vernell R"
    Vernell R.

Featured Articles

Read about interesting topics

Newsletter Signup

Sign up for more articles